Bringing together the best of Mexican and Persian cuisine, the Taco Burrito features the essentials of every taco— spiced ground meat, veggies, and cheese neatly bundled up in a tortilla wrap. The finisher is a garlicky and creamy shawarma sauce that really brings out its complex flavors. No beans, no rice— just yummy, meaty goodness.
View this post on Instagram
Burrito and Taco with Shawarma Sauce ??? These are tortillas and taco shells with taco fillings and shawarma sauce. Always a hit with the family. ?? . . Ingredients: Tortilla wrappers and Taco Shells About a kilo of ground beef or half ground beef and half ground pork. 1 pack McCormick Taco Mix Diced tomatoes and cucumbers or you can slice the cucumbers like matchsticks. Finely chopped white onions Lettuce, thinly sliced Grated cheese (I prefer cheddar) 125g plain or greek yogurt About half a cup of mayo A bulb of Grated garlic or about half a tsp of powdered garlic (depends on your taste) Half a lemon Salt and pepper to taste Hot Sauce Here’s how: 1.Tortillas – you can get them sa groceries or make it from scratch. How to prepare….place tortillas on a hot pan (no oil) turning about 30 seconds to get the "bubbly spots". Once done wrap them in a kitchen towel to keep the moisture and warmth. 2. Meat filling – ground beef or if you want you can mix it with ground pork. If di talaga keri ng budget ang beef dahil sobrang mahal na as if nauubusan na ng baka sa Pilipinas, ground pork na lang gamitin mo. No judgement here. Ang hirap kaya mag budget. Saute ground beef in a little bit of oil. While waiting for it to cook, prepare McCormick taco mix per package directions. I use 1 pack of the taco mix per 1 kilo of meat. Kung gusto mo ng mas madami, pls do so. If it's your first time to use the mix, pour it gradually muna sa meat kase baka too strong para sa iyo yung lasa. Once the ground meat is cooked, pour in the taco mix and make sure the beef is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Set aside. 3. Slice/chop/dice/shred lettuce, onions, tomatoes and cucumber. 4. Grate some cheese. I used the leftover grated cheddar we had from the burger I made. Quickmelt will be ok too. 5. Shawarma Sauce – combine plain yogurt and mayo, grated garlic or garlic powder.( take it easy on the garlic)Try mo muna ang half a clove (add more if you want to). Season with salt and konting lemon. If the mixture is too thick you could thin it out by adding a little bit of water. 6. Now you can make your own burrito or taco. Happy eating. ☺️
Taco Burrito with Shawarma Sauce Recipe
- Tortilla wrappers
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced or cut into matchstick strips
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1/2 of a lettuce, thinly sliced
- Grated cheddar cheese (you can also use your preferred cheese)
- 1 kilo of ground beef (you can also use ground pork or a combination of 1/2 kilo of ground beef and 1/2 kilo of ground pork)
- 1 pack of McCormick taco mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125 grams of plain or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 bulb of garlic, grated (or 1/2 tsp of powdered garlic, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 of a lemon
- Salt, to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Place your tortilla flat side on a hot pan without oil. Let it brown for about 30 seconds before turning it to the other side. You’ll know it’s ready when you see bubbly spots form. Repeat until your tortilla wrappers are all done. Next, wrap them in a kitchen towel to keep them dry.
- In a pan with oil, saute your ground meat over medium heat. When cooked, add your taco mix. Although the recommended amount is 1 pack to 1 kilo of meat, don’t empty out the whole pack right away. The amount will depend on how strong you want the taste to be. Once you get the desired taste, stir and make sure the meat is evenly coated, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine your yogurt, mayo, and garlic. Make sure to add your garlic in increments, depending on how you like it. Season with salt and lemon juice. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of water and mix until well-combined.
- Now it’s time to assemble your taco burrito. Spread your ground meat filling on your tortilla wrapper. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cheese. Drizzle on some shawarma sauce. Fold the sides and roll to form a burrito. Enjoy!
Tip: If you have taco shells, you can also use the same ingredients and fixings for tacos.
Got any creative recipes? Share them with us and we might just feature them!
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a direct message at WhenInMania.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad and join us on Viber where we share our stories and more!