A Bill for Parents Who Refuse To Give Legal Child Support Can Now Be Penalized

Having a family of your own is not a walk in the park. I know as I got mine at an early age. While I don’t have any regrets, I’ve experienced the same predicament of not receiving child support. Thankfully, that phase of my life ended gracefully by staying resilient and still able to communicate with the father of my children. However, I still know a couple of parents out there, who are struggling from receiving monetary or child support.

Child support

‘Nuff said.

Fortunately, according to the press release posted at the House of Representatives website, a House Bill 6079 was filed by Rep. Rosenda Ann Ocampo (6th District, Manila), which seeks to penalize the refusal or failure by parents to give legal child support without justifiable cause.

The rationale of the said bill was all about the welfare of the children since it is them, who usually suffer a traumatic and agonizing experience from the separation of the parents and/or  failure to support their needs.

child support 2 e1447062116158

According to the release, the bill shall cover the following points:

  1. The amount determined by a court order or under a parenting agreement approved in court (or issued under a protection order pursuant to Republic Act 9262, otherwise known as the “Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004) shall be remitted to the parent who has the legal custody of the child.
  2. Parents who fail to give legal child support without justifiable cause amounting to more than P30,000 or for a period of more than six months.
  3. Likewise, any person to pay less than the amount determined by the court as legal child support amounting to more than P30,000 or for a period of more than one year.
  4. First offense: P25,000 or imprisonment of not less than six months but not more than one year or both and the lump sum settlement of the total unpaid legal child support.
  5. If it’s a recurring offense, the fine will be doubled (P50, 000) or imprisonment of not less than one year but not more than two years or both and the lump sum settlement of the total unpaid legal support.

Conversely, as per Rep. Ocampo, “the custodial parent can only file a motion to cite the obliged parent for indirect contempt for refusal to comply with a valid court order mandating the support provisions.”

Representative Ocampo also thinks, that through this initiative, parents will be compelled and hopefully comply with the court order to pay the legal child/children support, so the child/children can still experience a decent life.

Additionally, the said bill (HB 6079) has been referred to the Committee on Welfare and Children chaired by Rep. Aurora Enerio Cerilles (2nd District, Zamboanga del Sur).

On a personal note, I am glad that there’s a bill that will help other parents, who are constantly dealing with this issue. Notwithstanding, the psychological and emotional help they also need to remain strong for their children. I think it’s about time for something like this to be approved and hopefully be treated seriously.

What do you think of this issue? Would love to hear your thoughts.