Mommies, we know that it can be hard to get your kids to eat their vegetables. With the right recipes and ingredients, though, you can easily whip up yummy vegetarian snacks. Take this vegetarian okoy, for example. It’s a deep-fried fritter made with squash and sweet potato— crispy stuff that tastes just as great with a tangy vinegar dip.
Mommy blogger Mitze Baleña (IG: @eats_misisB) shares her recipe with us, and we are sure that your kids will eat their veggies in no time because of it.
Squash & Sweet Potato Fritter (Vegetarian Okoy) Recipe
- 1/2 kilo of squash (kalabasa)
- 1/4 kilo of sweet potato (kamote)
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 cup of cooking oil for frying
Spicy Vinegar Dip
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2-3 red chilis
- Make your spicy vinegar dip by mixing your vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, salt, black pepper, onion, and chili together. You can also break the chili if you want your dip to be spicy.
- Chop up your squash and sweet potato into thin strips (julienne cut). Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together your flour, egg, water, salt, and pepper.
- Add in your squash, sweet potatoes, and onion. Mix until well-combined.
- Heat your oil in a pan on medium-high. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the batter. Fry each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp. Repeat until the batter is finished.
- Place on a strainer and let the excess oil drip out. You can also put them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve together with your spicy vinegar dip. Enjoy!
What other Filipino recipes would you like to see? Let us know in the comments!
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad and join us on Viber where we share our stories and more!