Hashbrowns may be one of the easiest recipes out there but for some reason, our home-cooked versions never quite capture the taste of those from good ol’ McDonald’s.
With the enhanced community quarantine still extending over various parts of Luzon, this is probably leaving some of you with intense cravings for it. Luckily, Michelin-trained chef Poppy O’Toole, or poppy_cooks on TikTok, recently shared her tried-and-tested recipe for McDonald’s style hash browns.
Don’t worry, the recipe is still as easy as pie! The recipe is as follows:
- 1 Egg
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Use a grater on your potato to get thin and even slices
- Pat the potato slices with a paper towel to remove excess water. Transfer the potato slices to a clean tea-towel and give it a squeeze to make sure the grated spud is dry. Note: Dry potato slices mean crispy hashbrowns!
- Mix the dry potato slices with egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Shape the potato mix into the classic McDonald’s hashbrowns shape (or whatever shape you prefer).
- Cook the hashbrowns in a frying pan on a medium to low heat. Flip them when they achieve the classic golden brown color. Tip: Poppy likes to tilt her pan to cover the entire hashbrown in oil to make it extra crisp!
“I’m a pro chef and trained in Michelin-starred kitchens, so I have a banging hash brown recipe that’s a bit fancy… but it never stood up to the simple classic of McDonald’s,” Poppy shared with LADbible. “Cutting all the fancy stuff and the extras, just two main ingredients tastes so, so good.“
Let us know how your hashbrowns turned out in the comments!
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at story.wheninmanila@gmail.