Photo from: Vico Sotto on Twitter
On Monday night, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the enhanced community quarantine for the entire island of Luzon to address the threat of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The enhanced community quarantine will run until April 12.
Based on the guidelines released by the Palace last Saturday, enhanced community quarantine means:
- home quarantine will be implemented in all households
- transportation will be suspended
- provision for food and essential health services will be regulated
- the presence of uniformed personnel to enforce quarantine procedures will be heightened
With what the Palace has set, it meant that public transportation should be halted but Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto assessed the situation and chose to do what he feels was best for many.
“We’re using our vehicles but it’s not enough. Our risk assessment shows that we can’t ban tricycles at this point,” Sotto said on Twitter.
– Subject to TORO guidelines such as limited # of passengers (social distancing)
– Puwede lang magsakay ng pasaherong EXEMPTED sa quarantine.
— Vico Sotto (@VicoSotto) March 17, 2020
The move to suspend public transportation across Luzon’s eight administrative regions to “keep people at home” and discourage them from going around, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said on Monday night.
The Philippines has so far recorded 142 COVID-19 cases, including 12 deaths, according to the Department of Health.
Duterte’s decision comes after Senator Sherwin Gatchalian, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año and Panelo proposed for a total lockdown of Metro Manila just two days into the implementation of a general community quarantine of the region.
Anything to add to this story? Share your thoughts with us.
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at email@example.com or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad!