Apparently, traffic in Manila City might get worse in the metro when SEA Games 2019 is in full swing. The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) posted an announcement about road closures in the city on their Facebook page.
The following roads will be closed for SEA Games 2019:
- Along Adriatico Street, from Quirino Avenue to P. Ocampo Street (both directions)
- Along P. Ocampo Street, from Taft Avenue to Adriatico Street (westbound only)
The MMDA provided alternate routes in lieu of these road closures:
- Vehicles coming from Taft Avenue going to the westbound lane of Quirino Avenue and intending to turn left to Adriatico Street: Go straight to Roxas Boulevard or Mabini Street to reach destination.
- Vehicles coming from Taft Avenue and intending to use westbound lane of P. Ocampo Street: Use Menlo Street then Donada Street to reach destination.
- Vehicles coming from Roxas Avenue or FB Harrison Street via eastbound lane of P. Ocampo Street, and intending to use Adriatico Street: Go straight to Taft Avenue to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Roxas Avenue or FB Harrison Street via eastbound lane of Quirino Avenue, and intending to use Adriatico Street: Go straight to Taft Avenue to point of destination.
Still, expect heavy traffic even in these alternate routes.
To give way to SEA Games 2019, several schools and universities in Taft Avenue have reportedly canceled classes, which might help in reducing the number of road users in the area. Still, congestion is expected because vehicles will be diverted to narrow side streets. This may still lead to bottlenecks around the city.
Anything to add to this story? Share your thoughts with us.
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad!