Words by Paul Adrian Galo of Eugenio Lopez Jr. Center for Media Arts Senior High School
WHAT IS A POSTAL ID?
The Postal ID is an identification card that is obtained from the Philippine Postal Corporation and contains verified information regarding the user’s identity and address. It can be used for different transactions as any other valid IDs.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE POSTAL ID?
Every Filipino citizen aged 18 and above can apply for the Postal ID! If a foreign resident residing in the country, you must be residing for at least 6 months or more in the country.
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY FOR THE POSTAL ID?
What makes the Postal ID different from other Valid IDs is that it’s easily obtainable but a bit pricey. However, the ID is worth the price as the Improved Postal ID is now equipped with various features not seen in other valid Identification Cards like QR code identifiable through phone, fingerprints validation through Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) and ghost image in order to increase the security in the identity verification and lessen the cases of identity theft and fraud. Its validity lasts for 3 years for Filipino residents and 1 year for foreign.
Before starting with the steps in applying for Postal ID, make sure to prepare the following requirements listed by the PostalIDPH:
PROOF OF ADDRESS
You can submit just one (1) or more on any of the following:
- Barangay Certificate of Residency issued within 3 months prior to postal ID application
- Certified True Copy of Lease
- Certified True Copy of Titles issued by the Land Registration Authority (LRA)
- Certified True Copy of Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Bank Statement, Credit Card Statement
- School Billing Statement
- Utility Bill (cable, electric, internet, landline, telephone, water)
PROOF OF IDENTITY
- Birth Certificate Issued by NSO or Local Civil Registry
- GSIS or SSS Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) Card
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid Passport
- Marriage Certificate (for married women)
If you don’t have any of the above mentioned, you can bring two (2) of the following:
- BIR ID
- Baptismal Certificate
- Certificate of Birth
- College or Post-Graduate Transcript of Records
- Confirmation Certificate
- Elementary or High School Form 137
- Marriage Certificate
- Valid Alumni ID
- Valid Basic Postal ID
- Valid College, School or University ID
- Valid Company ID
- Valid Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) ID
- Valid NBI Clearance
- Valid OWWA ID
- Valid Pag-Ibig ID
- Valid PhilHealth ID
- Valid PRC ID
- Valid Paper-based Postal ID
- Valid Police Clearance
- Valid Seaman’s Book
- Valid Senior Citizen ID
- Valid Tax Identification Number Card
- Valid Voter’s ID
The Postal ID is not available to be transacted online unlike some IDs, however their application form is downloadable and printable here in order to fill up the necessary information before proceeding in the application.
Print two copies of the form and make sure to fill up all the necessary information, especially the required sections marked with red checks.
- For foreign applicants, you are required to bring the following
- Passport – must be valid for at least six (6) months prior to application
- Any of the following documents valid for at least six (6) months prior to application:
- Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card (ACRI-Card)
- Long Stay Visitor Visa Extension (LSVVE)
- Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
- Diplomatic Visa
- Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV)
After preparing all the necessary requirements, you can now proceed in the application by following these steps:
- Finalize all the necessary requirements to be brought for the application. Head to the nearest ID capture station (see list here for the capture stations near you). Currently, the active capture stations in the country are 260 in selected areas.
- After arriving, wait for your turn to get your photo and fingerprint taken.
- Pay the fee after your turn. The current fee to be paid in applying for the Postal ID is P504.00 (delivery fee included).
- You may now leave the capture station and wait for your Postal ID to be delivered at your specified address in the form.
ESTIMATED DELIVERY TIME:
- FOR METRO MANILA AREA: 15 days
- FOR OTHER CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES: 20 days
- FOR PROVINCIAL AREA: 30 days
Now you see why you should obtain POSTAL ID? Not only is it easy to obtain with just some steps, but also safer to use than other ID with its features and can be used for different purposes. Just prepare the requirements and follow the steps, hassle no more in getting this valid ID!