Trust us: it’s easier than you think!
Bicho-Bicho is a popular Filipino snack that many have enjoyed over the years. This twisted donut is made with a yeast dough that’s deep-fried to a lovely golden brown. Soft, fluffy, and buttery, Bicho-Bicho is a real treat, whether it’s for breakfast, merienda, or even for dessert.
View this post on Instagram
Home made bitcho bitcho Oh merienda natin nung bata pa tayo napaka sarap nito 😀 lalo na maraming gatas😋. Favorite ko to kasabay ng pop cola 🤣🤣 yung nag ye yelo pa 😅. Saktong alas tres ng hapon mag papa merienda na. Kasabay ng aleng pakembot kembot na nag aalok nito . Syempre bibili ako kasi natulog ako ng tanghali 🤣. Eto ang premyo ko. Paano ba gawin to? madali lang!! Basta kasama natin si @ellie.philippines #BidaSaKusina #LutongEllie Bread Ingredients: Flour 200 grams sugar 30 grams egg 1 pc water 50 ml milk 70ml yeast 4 grams salt 1/4 tsp vanilla 1 tsp butter 30 grams Fillings : Ingredients Cream cheese 100grams Powdered sugar 50grams 1 tbsp fresh milk Combine all ingredients and mix throughly. Set aside. For Bread : Combine all ingredients Straight method used hook Attachment After mixing. Covered with cling wrap (I used #reynoldskitchen . Chilled for 7hrs . Hanggang sa umalsa siya. Then,after 7hrs try to pressed the dough, kapag di na bumalik ok na siya. I mold mo na kung anung shape ang gusto mo. Then i rest mo muna bago mo ifry. (Paalsahin ulit) Fry using @ellie oil. Temperature 350F Fry until golden brown. After frying put the cooked bread in strainer then put generous amount of skim milk powder. #eliskitchenph #welovetocookph #elliecookingoil #welovetoeatph #discovermnl #forkspoonmanila #foodgrammerph #foodieph #panlasangpinoy #pagkaingpinoy #homecooking #baking #bitchobitcho #foodieph #tarasasouth #milkbread #buchibuchi #pagkaingpinoy#filipinofoodmovement #homecooked #homebaking #masarap #masarapba #wheninmanila #eatsploration#streetfood #pinoymerienda #filipinocuisine
While a lot of bakeries sell Bicho-Bicho, it’s actually easy to make on your own. Plus, nothing is more satisfying than biting into something that you made yourself— one baked with love and a ton of butter. So, for those who want a great recipe for Bicho Bicho, Mommy blogger Rizza Yenko (IG: @eliskitchen_ph) shares her take on this snack. Bonus: it’s got a cheesy surprise inside!
Check it out:
Bicho Bicho Recipe
- 200 grams of all-purpose flour
- 30 grams of sugar
- 1 egg
- 50 ml of water
- 70ml of milk
- 4 grams of yeast
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 30 grams of cold butter
Cream Cheese Filling
- 100 grams of cream cheese
- 50 grams of powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp of fresh milk
- Skim milk powder
- Make the cream cheese filling by mixing your cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk together. Refrigerate it in the meantime.
- Use a mixer with a hook attachment. Add your flour, sugar, yeast, water, milk, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix at medium speed.
- Add your butter and continue mixing until it is fully incorporated into the dough.
- Spread some butter in a bowl and transfer your dough into it. Cover and let it rest for 1 hour in a warm place until the dough doubles in size. You can also put the dough in the chiller for 5 hours or overnight, but you’ll need to decrease the yeast to 2 grams for this.
- After the dough has doubled in size, press down on it to remove excess air. Shape it into flat triangles and spread cream cheese filling on each one.
- Roll your dough from the wider part towards the pointed tip of the triangle. Repeat on all remaining triangles and let them rest.
- Get a pot of oil going on high heat. When it reaches 350F, carefully lower your rolls and let them fry until golden brown.
- Place your cooked Bicho-Bicho over a strainer to get rid of the excess oil. Next, roll your Bicho-Bicho on skim milk powder until coated.
Cooking Alternative: For a less greasy take on Bicho-Bicho, use the oven. Just preheat it to 160C and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. When done, roll in skim milk powder, and you’re good to go. Enjoy!
Got any pastry recipes of your own to share? Share them with us, so we can feature them!
(Cover Photo by Rizza Yenko of @eliskitchen_ph)
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at email@example.com or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad and join us on Viber where we share our stories and more!