Celebrations are made special when there’s lots of food. But a home-cooked dish? Now that’s extra special!
While Thermidor is commonly made with lobster (talk about fancy!), we used prawns in ours. Not only is this more affordable, but the results taste just as good. Also, although the normal recipe calls for removing the meat, cutting it up, and putting it back on the shell; my mother does hers differently. That way, the finished product is less messy. Plus, she’s working smart, so to speak.
Check out her recipe:
Shrimp Thermidor Recipe
- 12 pieces of Large Prawns
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- 2 tsp of Cooking Oil
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp of All-Purpose Cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of Grated Cheese (we used a mix of Mozzarella and Quickmelt, but you can use any combination and brand. Feel free to add more if you like it extra cheesy)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Cut the shell at the back of your prawns, butterfly-style. Pat them dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Take 3 of the prawns and scoop out the meat. Chop the meat coarsely.
- In a pan over medium to low heat, add your oil and butter. When the butter melts, add your onions, and saute until fragrant. Season with salt, lower the heat, and add flour. Stir well, making sure to remove any lumps.
- Add cream and 1/4 cup of grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Let the mixture simmer until it thickens, all the while mixing it so that it doesn’t stick to the pot.
- Remove from heat, and add the prawn meat. Carefully fold until the meat is coated in sauce.
- Place your remaining 9 prawns on a baking tray, shell side down. Season with salt and pepper and top each one with minced garlic. Carefully spoon in your chopped prawn mixture on each prawn, and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven or oven toaster for 20 to 30 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Do you have any special recipes for potlucks and parties? Share them with us!
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at email@example.com or send us a direct message at WhenInMania.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad and join us on Viber where we share our stories and more!