When In Manila, the phrase, “Pain is beauty,” is never truer than when one gets a Brazilian – not the blowout, but the waxing. Wincing aside, I personally think that waxing is a must for ladies and gents, especially when you live in a tropical country where bacteria like to hide and party in damp nooks and crannies. I’ve found that the amount of pain from the waxing depends on the person doing the job. If they suck, you’re really going to feel it, but if they don’t, it’ll be a walk in the park. Thank goodness for Strip Manila!
STRIP: Ministry of Waxing was born in Singapore at a time when the local wax culture was old school – dodgy waxing studios dishing out unhygienic and painful waxes that left you scarred for life with a frightful wax experience to share with already hesitant friends. After revolutionizing the Singaporean waxing industry, Strip was then brought to Manila to spread the good news, pun intended.
I have had my own waxing horror story that I try not to share – as I care about my friends enough to know that it’s nothing to be afraid of – and was a bit wary walking into Strip Manila‘s Serendra branch, but after reading all the great reviews of Strip displayed on their wall and chatting with the owner – a very pretty and accommodating lady named Tab – I found out what makes Strip shine from other waxing salons:
1. All their Striperallas – the ladies that wax on and wax off – are registered nurses or come from a nursing background. They really don’t care about what your vajayjay looks like, or the size of your peen, all they care about is the hair down there and taking it off in the least amount of time possible with the least amount of pain. You don’t have to feel self-conscious, just think of it as a gyne appointment.
2. The Striperellas are trained rigorously before they are let anywhere near your privates. If they don’t pass a strict examination, it’s back to waxing bootcamp for them.
3. Strip’s personal mantra is Hygiene, Speed, and Quality. They use latex gloves to ensure nothing but the cleanest touch, and best of all, they know better than to double dip! Their promise is a clean slate in 15 minutes or less using only the best wax possible.
4. They have an R&D department, that looks into creating waxes and products that are Asian-friendly. Other types of waxes may be too harsh for delicate, Asian skin and hair, while cold sugar waxes tend to irritate the skin, leaving you with bumps and rashes. Strip’s hot wax has a cling wrap effect on unwanted hair, molding themselves around the follicle so more hairs are stripped off faster, and you can see the hair standing on end. Remember those grassheads in the 90s?
5. All the equipment and products at Strip Manila are imported from Singapore. I don’t even have to explain how anal Singaporeans are when it comes to cleanliness and quality control.
After I was given my personal Strip kit (every client who comes in gets one), I was led to the stripping room where I was left to clean up, lay down on the bed, and mentally prepare myself for what was to come.
They have the cutest squeeze toys you can play around with if you’re feeling nervous – the little hairy monkey for the ladies (something you don’t want to turn into), and a big carrot for the guys. My Striperella, May, came back a few minutes later, helped me relax by chatting me up, and would tell me exactly what she was doing down there, giving me a quick run through on the waxing process, so I wouldn’t get a nasty surprise.
Cleaning solution and oil is applied on the area that is about to be waxed, to prepare the skin for the sudden sensation of hair being removed. Strawberry wax was used on me, which smelled a lot like a bowl of strawberry Yan Yan dip, and I’m happy to report it didn’t hurt as much as I expected it to. Good job on the quick work, May!
If there’s a thicker bush to trim, chocolate wax does the trick, and to remove hair on the arms or legs, there’s a very relaxing lavender wax.
My friend Nica, who also got waxed the same time I did, had nothing but praise for the minimal pain she experienced in the waxing room. The hair follicle is pulled by the root, so over time (barring hormonal and other unforeseen variables) it is discouraged from re-growing, and the hair can become softer and less dense (red: less ouchie). As an added bonus, we were both treated to a Hoochie Coochie Ice Mask – a cooling mix of eucalyptus and peppermint – which was a nice way to close the open pores from the waxing, and gave us a nice refreshing feeling similar to that of a cool shower.
Strip Manila also offers the Boyzilian – below the belt pampering not just for athletes, celebrities, and metrosexuals, but for regular dudes who are finicky about hygiene, like the enlarging effect waxing gives their main attraction, or get it done because their girlfriend or wife appreciates privates whistle clean, too. Hey, you expect us to keep our business nice and clean and smelling like roses, we expect the same from you as well! I had coaxed my friend Jericho to try the treatment, but unfortunately, he couldn’t stand the stripping. He did appreciate how hygenic the treatment was and how patient his Striperella was with him. I guess it isn’t for everybody.
When In Manila, whether it’s stripping it all off before donning on your favorite bikini, getting ready for a night on the town, a special occasion, or plain old hygiene, whether you’re a girl or a guy, there is only one store synonymous with getting a clean, fast, bikini wax – and that’s at Strip Manila.
2nd Floor Serendra, Bonifacio High St.,
Strip Greenbelt 5
4th Floor Greenbelt 5
Ayala Center, Makati
+632 501 3997
Sunday – Thursday: 11am – 9pm
Friday and Saturday: 11am – 10pm