Crema Catalana (low calorie)
Yield: 4 servings (4 oz each)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tbsp sugar (may substitute with raw or coco sugar)
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch
- Zest of an orange
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 4-6 tbsp white sugar, for garnish
- In a sauce pot combine milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, orange zest and ground cinnamon. Make sure to dissolve the cornstarch and remove all lumps.
- Place over medium heat and whisk continuously until the mixture becomes thick. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Using 4 ramekins (½ cup capacity each), divide the custard mixture between the ramekins.
- Place in the chiller and allow to set for at least 4-6 hours. Overnight is best.
- To serve, sprinkle an even layer of sugar on top of each ramekin. Using a blowtorch, burn the sugar to make a caramel layer on top.
To learn more recipes and culinary techniques, check out Global Academy’s courses and trainings, or read our article on them here: Global Academy: Expand Your Palate at this Culinary School
Global Academy has branches in Makati, Timog, Pasig and Alabang.