Rainbow Loom Bands: Looming Up Dragon Scale Style!
Something has been keeping my little sister busy this summer. She has a table full of small rainbow loom bands in a variety of colors, a peg set, and what looks like the rising trend among kids nowadays: loom bracelets.
My sister was creating a ‘Dragon Scale’ kind of loom bracelet one day and it caught my interest so I decided to learn how to make them from her out of rainbow loom bands.
She told me that loom bracelets usually look better when a variety of colors are used, so I gathered up the colors that I wanted and grabbed a handy-dandy hook to work with. This hook will help in twisting the bands together if the pattern starts to get complicated.
How to Make a Dragon Scale Loom Bracelet with Rainbow Loom Bands
- Take your first band, twist it into an infinity sign and place it onto your first-second peg.
- Take another band, twist it into an infinity sign and place it on your third-fourth peg. Keep doing this until you reach the ninth-tenth peg.
- Take a new band (preferably in another color), and twist it into an infinity sign and place it on the second-third peg. Keep doing this until you’ve reached the eighth-ninth peg.
- Take your hook and grab the band on the first-second peg and lift it over until it is underneath the band with another color. If the band appears to be untwisted, lift the band and twist it back. Lift the other bands over the colored band until you’re finished.
- Take another band in yet another different color and place it over the first-second peg and so on. Do not twist the bands this time. Once you’re done, take the bands below the ones you just placed and lift them over from the left side.
- Take another band and do the same as step 5, but start placing the bands on the second-third peg.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you’ve reached the desired length of your loom bracelet.
- Seal the bracelet with C-clips.
(For a video tutorial on how to make ‘Dragon Scale’ bracelets with rainbow loom bands, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4P8YlQsXNY&index=6&list=PLjDw9StP1RXqfdBcbfB4wi6e-d5tY-WAl)
Learning how to make this kind of loom can be confusing at first, but it gets easier once you get the hang of it.
Now I know why it’s called a ‘Dragon Scale’ loom. The pattern resembles actual dragon scales – perfect for ‘Game of Thrones‘ lovers!
Here’s the finished product. It only took me around 10 minutes to do this and look how cute the colors look together.
Now that I’ve experienced how to make a loom bracelet, I suddenly understand why people are addicted to making these! It’s absolutely fun to make, especially if the design is complicated because the feeling of accomplishing that pattern just makes you want to do another one again!
Would you rather spend your summer at the beach? Then check our article on the Top 10 Things to do in Boracay!