In 2019, the Academy Awards made headlines after it was held, for the first time in 30 years, without an official host.
This year, it looks like the ceremony is going host-less once again.
Karey Burke, president of ABC Entertainment, confirmed this to television reporters on Wednesday. “Let me confirm it now. Together with the Academy (of Motion Pictures), we have decided there will be no traditional host again this year,” she said.
She claims that the decision is attributed to the fact that last year’s awards night had received good reviews and caused a spike in their viewership which had been falling in the years prior. Instead of having a host drawl out a prepared monologue, audiences from around the world were treated to an amazing opening performance by legendary rock band Queen to commemorate the box office success of the Oscar-winning movie-musical Bohemian Rhapsody.
This year, Burke says organizers are planning on “repeating what worked for us last year — huge entertainment value, big musical numbers, big comedy.”
“A lot of incredible elements have already come together and convinced us that we are going to have an incredibly entertaining show again,” she added.
The 92nd Academy Awards will be held on February 9 (February 10, Philippine time).
Official nominees will be revealed soon.
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at email@example.com or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad!