Out of The Box Media Literacy Initiative holds Spoof Ads, a nationwide media literacy workshop and contest for high school students.
Out of The Box Media Literacy Initiative, a non-profit youth organization promoting media literacy for Filipino students, will be holding a nationwide Spoof Ads workshop and contest for high school students this August 2017.
The Spoof Ads contest calls for students to create a parody of an existing ad by modifying some of its components such as the tagline, images used, or the techniques of persuasion. This contest highlights the teaching of creative skills and critical awareness to teenagers to become capable and thoughtful media consumers and producers.
The contest participants will also be joining a Media Literacy and Advertising Design Workshop to be held in Metro Manila on August 12, 2017. The program includes talks on media literacy, persuasion techniques, copywriting and composition.
Schools may send at most two (2) teams composed of two (2) students in Grade 7 through 12. They must register through https://bit.ly/OOTBSpoofAd and pay the registration fee of P350 per team via bank deposit on or before August 5, 2017 to secure their slot. Only the first 100 paid registrants will be accommodated. The registration fee is inclusive of snacks, training, certificates of participation, and workshop kits.
The full contest mechanics are detailed in the next pages. For further inquiries, e-mail Out of The Box at email@example.com.
About Out of the Box Media Literacy Initiative:
Out of The Box Media Literacy Initiative (OOTB) is a non-profit youth organization based in Quezon City with a mission of promoting media literacy to Filipinos in both formal and informal educational settings. Since its establishment in 2014, it has created varied learning materials and conducted several media literacy workshops for students and teachers all over the country.
- This competition is open to all high school and senior high school students only.
- This competition will be between in teams composed of two (2) members. Schools may send at most two (2) teams.
- Team members must be high school students from Grade 7-12 enrolled for school year 2017-2018.
- Teams must register through https://bit.ly/OOTBSpoofAd and pay the registration fee of P350.00 per team via bank deposit on or before August 5, 2017 to secure their slot. They will receive a confirmation notice once the payment has been received. Only the first 100 paid registrants will be accommodated.
- Registration fee is inclusive of snacks, training, certificates of participation, and workshop kits.
- Teams may begin to conceptualize and produce their spoof ad entries after receiving notice of acceptance.
- Both members of the team must attend the Media Literacy and Advertising Design workshop on August 12, 2017 (venue: to be announced).
Specifications of the Spoof Ad Entry
- The entry may either be a photography or digital art-based advertisement.
- Teams may select a specific advertisement (television commercial or still advertisement), an entire marketing campaign of a brand, or a type of product (e.g. perfume, energy drinks, fast food hamburgers, etc.) and create an ORIGINAL spoof or satiric advertisement that mocks or challenges the manner in which the advertisement engages the target audience.
- Teams must choose advertisements that pose social or political implications.
- The entry should not contain any obscene or morbid images.
- Entries must have the following specifications:
- .jpeg format
- resolution: 300 pixels/inch
- dimension: 13″x19″ (minimum) to 20″x30″ (maximum)
- orientation: landscape or portrait
- The spoof ad must be submitted on or before August 18, 2017 via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Along with the entry, a brief summary or explanation of the work should be attached in the e-mail submission.
- Failure to submit all requirements on the deadline shall mean automatic disqualification.
- All accepted entries will be uploaded on the Facebook page of Out of The Box on August 19. There will be a public Facebook liking contest from August 19 to 23, 2017. The entry with the most likes will win a special reward.
Criteria for Judging and Prizes
- Judges with specialization on media literacy, advertising, and digital design shall select the winners based on the following criteria:
- Content: choice of ad material and social relevance of spoof ad (50%)
- Technical: design technique and compliance with format (40%)
- Overall Impact (10%)
- Total 100%
- The winning entries will be announced on OOTB’s Facebook page on August 24, 2017.
- The winning entries will be printed and exhibited during media literacy workshops of OOTB.
- The first, second, and third places shall receive P3,000.00, P2,000.00, and P1,000.00 respectively, plus freebies and certificates.
- Winners will be notified via e-mail regarding the claiming of prizes.
Out of the Box Media Literacy Initiative