Japan Foundation Manila is bringing this month’s Japan Film Week online by screening six Japanese films completely for FREE!
Japan Film Week is a spin-off of the Japan Foundation Manila’s annual Japan Film Festival, or EIGASAI, which has consistently gathered audiences around Metro Manila to indulge in and appreciate Japanese films we otherwise would not be able to watch anywhere else. This year, we can finally watch them in the comforts of our homes without spending a single peso.
The films to be shown online are as follows:
- Bittersweet (Nigakute amai) — A live-action adaptation of a popular webmanga series about a straight woman who doesn’t like vegetables and who ends up falling in love with a gay vegetarian.
- The Takatsu River (Takatsugawa) — A film drama that portrays various people living along the river basin of Shimane Prefeture’s Takatsu River, a government-protected river, burdened by decreasing population as they carry on the tradition of “Kagura” Shinto music and dance.
- Chieri and Cherry (Chieri to Cherry) — An animated film that deals with the emotional growth of a young girl who confronts the importance of life and sets out toward a new future.
- From All Corners (Tabisuru danboru) — A feature-length documentary about “cardboard artist” Shimazu Fuyuki who creates amazing wallets from upcycled cardboard boxes.
- Hana’s Miso Soup (Hanachan no misoshiru) — A film adaptation of an essay recording of Yasutake Chie’s fight with cancer, as well as the daily life of her husband and daughter.
- What’s for Dinner, Mom? (Mama gohan mada?) — A feature drama film based on an essay about sisters who reaffirm their familial bonds through the recipes left behind by their deceased mother.
The films will be available to stream from July 22 to 26 through Vimeo from 9 AM onwards, but will only be up for a limited number of screenings. So, you better get up as early as you can and catch them each day!
To view the full schedule and where to watch, see this link.
Are you excited about this? Sound off in the comments below!
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad! We also share our stories on Viber, join us!