Tips on Handling Sharp Kitchen Knives by a Pro Chef
After blogging about my super satisfying experience with my favorite Santoku Knife by Masflex Kitchen PRO, I was surprised that the Master Chef Gene Gonzalez himself left a comment! I was starstruck and honored of course! hihihi
Chef Gene Gonzales said that he’s more than willing to answer all my questions and also gave some very useful tips for home cooks like us!
Here are the tips which Chef Gene shared:
1. The most important tip is to chop slowly and carefully.
2. Always cut away from your body.
3. Make sure your hands are dry and the surface you’re working on is nonslip.
4. Make sure that you curl your fingers under on the hand holding the food. This takes a while to get used to, but will become second nature with practice. If your fingers are curled under, the chances are good you will never cut yourself.
5. Watch what you’re doing at all times.
6. Keep kids and pets out of the kitchen when you’re working with knives!
7. Using your dominant hand, hold the knife firmly and, using a rocking motion, cut through the food.
8. The knife should not leave the surface you’re working on.
You can also check out this Youtube video by Chef Gene for some basic knife safety tips:
As for my personal tip though, I highly recommend you try the knives from Masflex Kitchen Pro!
Thank you so much Chef Gene Gonzalez for the super useful tips!
Like then on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChefGeneKitchenPro