When in Manila, you can fly to the nearest ASEAN country for just 2.5hours. Well, Vietnam has long overcome the Chuck Norris scene-it’s transformed into one of the world’s favorite tourist destination. In Ho Chi Minh City (formerly known as Saigon) you can actually do these things in less than 24 hours (“,). So When In Vietnam, here are the Five things you need to do!
1. When In Saigon, ride on a Xe Om / Motorbike Taxi. Explore and experience the madness of the city on a Xe Om. This is totally fun, inexpensive although a little bit dangerous. It was in 2007 that I had my first Xe Om ride. At that time, people didn’t wear helmets but come on! I gotta dot it. So I instructed the Xe Om driver to get me to Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street. I couldn’t remember the exact address of the hotel so we were roaming around district 1 and district 3 for almost an hour. I was new in Saigon so being lost was happiness but the driver surely felt the opposite. Nowadays, ridng on a xeom is more fun- imagine being in an stampede of wild horses-but don’t worry, traffic police is in almost every corner of the streets.
2. When In Saigon, get a Caphe Sua Da / Iced Coffee with Milk on the streets. They have a lot of proper coffee shops in Saigon such as Highlands, which is now partly owned by a Pinoy company JOLIBEE, and Trung Nguyen which are among the famous. sure you can get the best coffee there but don’t forget to try some on the streets-it’s truly Vietnamese. They are as delicious plus it’s a cheap pleasure. I gotta warn you though, the coffee in Vietnam is highly addictive.
3. When In Saigon,Walk around Dong Khoi St. which is most often referred as Downtown Saigon. In Dong Khoi Street, you will see the city’s main church which is the Notre Dame- is one of the most photographed sights in Saigon. Very close to it is the Saigon Central Post Office, which has a Gothic architectural style and of course Vietnam’s top tourist attraction. The Independence Palace where US tanks and and jets peacefully stand among the trees, is just nearby. Queue for a ticket to get inside the palace and spend an hour perhaps to learn more about the war, the government and the people.
4. When In Saigon,Visit the War Remnants Museum. Wait..Do a bit of research first, you may not like what you see. Well, I’m sure you’re gonna like the tanks, the planes, the helicopters but there are things more than that. Believe me, I’ve been to the museum for four times and I always end up crying. What I really mean is…be emotionally prepared as it is very emotional inside.
5. When In Saigon,Go to Pham Ngu Lao St. This is the backpackers’ haven. It’s a good way to end your day really. Choose what and where to go before sleeping.
Pham Ngu Lao Street has lots of international and local restaurants which are reasonably priced. Among my favorites are Mumtaz, Cafe Thi, Chi’s Cafe, Boston, and Coriander.
This backpackers’ haven, Pham Ngu Lao St, also has cool bars and if you want to hear Filipino singers, then just go to Seventeen Saloon. This is where Guns n Roses, Metallica or even the Queen’s hits are played.
Pham Ngu Lao St. has lots of shops and most importantly-SPAs. Women like me would indulge in a quiet pampering moment after the 24-hour walkathon.
When In Manila… I mean…. When In Vietnam, or more specifically, When In Saigon, enjoy this fun filled place and for more insider tips, visit my website www.herdailydigest.com or email me at email@example.com
5 Thing To Do in Saigon: When In Vietnam