The beach nourishment project for the rehabilitation of Manila Bay is complete and it was made open to the public last weekend. Now referred to as ‘Manila Bay Sands’, local newspaper Manila Bulletin reports that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is happy with the result. However, the use of Dolomite as artificial white sand has raised public concerns.
A quick Google shows that Dolomite is “a common rock-forming mineral. It is a calcium magnesium carbonate with a chemical composition of CaMg(CO3)2. It is the primary component of the sedimentary rock known as dolostone and the metamorphic rock known as dolomitic marble.” (SOURCE: www.geology.com)
Today, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) addressed the matter on their Facebook Page. They titled the post “The truth about Dolomite and the beach nourishment project for the rehabilitation of Manila Bay” where they answered the following questions:
- Is dolomite detrimental to the ecosystems of Manila Bay?
- Do crushed dolomite rocks used in beach nourishment at Manila Bay pose a threat to human health?
- Does dolomite cause cancer?
- Is dolomite poisonous?
- Is it true that the implementation of the Beach Nourishment Project is very untimely, considering the COVID-19 situation in the country?
- Is DENR insensitive to the current pandemic situation?
- Was there overpricing in the Beach Nourishment Project?
- Does the DOH support the statement of the DENR that dolomite does not pose a danger to human health?
- Does the Manila Mayor, Isko Moreno, support the beach nourishment project for the rehabilitation of Manila Bay?
- Is the Baywalk area with “white sand” now swimmable?
Read their statement in the embedded post below:
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources wishes to extend its sincerest gratitude and appreciation to those…
Share your thoughts on ‘Manila Bay Sands’ in the comments section below.
Do you want us to feature your story or video? Email me at email@example.com or send me a direct message at When In Manila Gizelle on Facebook. To keep up with the latest news, join our Viber group!