Rock of Ages Manila
When In Manila, the local production of Rock of Ages is melting faces and blowing minds! Directed by Chari Arespacochaga (Legally Blonde, The Little Mermaid, etc), the adaptation is true to the original Broadway production (not the movie starring Tom Cruise, that was based on this musical) which is based on a book by Chris D’Arienzo, with a powerhouse cast of Pinoy rockers including Aiza Seguerra, Jett Pangan, Nyoy Volante, and introducing…Vina Morales!
The cream on top is the Philippine debut of Migs Ayesa, a Fil-Aussie (who is actually of Spanish descent on his mother’s side, and Ilonggo on his father’s side) who is an internationally renowned performer on the theater, stage and TV. He dropped out of Macquarie University while studying Communications to join the theater production Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story as Ritchie Valens. He later shot to fame as a finalist in the reality show Rock Star: INXS.
I took my dad to the show last Sunday for Father’s Day, and despite not knowing the tunes (he’s not a big beer house guy), he really enjoyed the show! It’s the best show to take your parents/buddies/nephews who were born in the late 70’s and 80’s to! Bring a lighter!
Migs Ayesa as Stacey Jaxx at Rock of Ages Manila
Top 5 Reasons to watch Rock of Ages Manila:
1. It’s the lovely Vina Morales’s theatrical debut! As somebody who grew up in the 80’s, she’s one of my dream girls (along with G. Toengi and Donita Rose)
2. Migs Ayesa headlines as Stacey Jaxx
Migs Ayesa flanked by the ensemble and Vina Morales
Source: Mig Ayesa’s facebook
3. A powerhouse cast of Pinoy rockers including Jett Pangan, Nyoy Volante, and Aiza Seguerra (who’s especially hilarious in this one!)
The Cast: Jett Pangan, Nyoy Volante, and Aiza Seguerra, Jinky Llamanzares, Calvin Millado, Jamie Wilson and Bibo Reyes
4. Rock ballads! Belt it out with the accompaniment of a live band and the cast and unleash the frustated rockstar in you!
The story interweaves classic rock songs by Poison, The Styx, Foreigner, Journey, Mr. Big, Whitesnake, and Extreme!
5. You can sing, stomp, shout, laugh, cry and hold up lighters during the performance! (You can’t do that in the cinema). And even if you get the topmost seats (balcony) the theater is small, and you can still enjoy the show from that vantage point.
Here’s an interview with Rock of Ages Manila director Chari Arespacochaga
Rock of Ages Manila director Chari Arespacochaga
When In Manila, catch the Manila production of Rock of Ages at the Carlos P. Romulo Theater, RCBC Plaza. Run ends July 1, 2012. Only one week left!
Rock of Ages Manila Production by Atlantis Productions directed by Chari Arespacochaga.
June 15 – July 1, 2012, Carlos P. Romulo Theater, RCBC Plaza. One week left!
Atlantis Productions website: http://atlantisproductionsinc.com/