Janine Gutierrez and Elijah Canlas just won their first Gawad Urian Awards this year, both bagging the Best Actress and Actor awards respectively for their films “Babae At Baril” and “Kalel, 15”!
The 43rd Gawad Urian Awards were held via a virtual ceremony streamed through TV UP’s YouTube channel on November 10.
Janine, who portrays a timid department store saleslady whose life turns upside-down after finding a gun on her doorstep, gushed over her win on her social media accounts.
“Maraming maraming salamat sa Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino for acknowledging everything we were [trying] to achieve with this film for Filipina women,” she said in an Instagram post. “So honored and humbled and grateful to be part of team #BabaeAtBaril!! Hindi man tayo nakadalo sa New York at Osaka, ibang klaseng karangalan ang mapansin ng ating Gawad Urian ♥️ (at para sa akin, mapasama sa hanay ng mga artistang matagal ko nang hinahangaan!)”
“Sa bumubuo ng pelikula, I look up to all of you IMMENSELY!!!!!!” she added as she tagged all the people who brought the film to life. “Iba kayo!!!!! Congratulations!”
She also jumped on Twitter to express her gratitude to all those who sent their best wishes to her following her achievement.
“Hindi ko na pinaabot ang isip ko sa posibilidad na mangyari ito dahil lahat ng artistang kasabay ko dito, sobrang hinahangaan ko!! Thank you for all the greetings about #BabaeAtBaril sa Urian. This means everything! Salamat! Congratulations, Team Babae!!” she wrote.
“Babae At Baril” also took home the majority of the awards, including Best Picture and Best Director for Rae Red.
Meanwhile, Elijah, who made waves online this year as the star of the first Filipino BL drama series “Gameboys,” expressed his shock over bagging the Best Actor award and hopes that his win will impel Filipinos to watch the critically-acclaimed independent film directed by Jun Robles Lana, who also received the award for Best Screenplay.
“I am still in shock! Can’t believe this just happened! You all don’t know how much this means to me!!! But even more than that, I hope this helps continue the conversation about HIV. Watch out for ‘Kalel, 15.’ I think there is a chance for everyone to watch it soon!” he said.
Elijah plays the titular character who struggles to navigate through life after finding out he was HIV-positive. He also recently clinched the Best Actor award for his portrayal in the film in the 17th Asian Film Festival held in Rome, Italy last August.
Congratulations to them both!
Here is the complete list of winners:
- Best picture – “Babae at Baril”
- Best director – Rae Red for “Babae at Baril”
- Best actress – Janine Gutierrez for “Babae at Baril”
- Best actor – Elijah Canlas for “Kalel, 15”
- Best supporting actress – Yayo Aguila for “Metamorphosis”
- Best supporting actor – Kristoffer King for “Verdict”
- Best screenplay – Jun Lana for “Kalel, 15”
- Best cinematography – Tey Clamor for “Babae at Baril”
- Best production design – Eero Yves Francisco for “Babae at Baril”
- Best editing – Ilsa Malsi for “Babae at Baril”
- Best short film – Carla Pulido Ocampo for “Tokwifi”
- Best documentary film – Miko Revereza for “No Data Plan”
- Best sound – Mikko Quizon, John Michael Perez, RJ Cantos for “Mañanita”
- Best music – Jude Gitamondoc, Cindy Velasquez, Cattski Espina for “Huwebes, Huwebes”
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at email@example.com or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad! Get the latest news about the Philippine Entertainment industry and join the WIM Showbiz Facebook group! We also share our stories on Viber, join us!