A few days ago, fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) woke up to the heartbreaking news that Spider-Man will be leaving the MCU after Disney and Sony’s partnership broke off.
However, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Rumor has it that Disney is offering Sony a new deal to keep Spider-Man in the MCU.
According to a post from geek page Fully Poseable on Facebook:
It is being rumored that Disney has offered Sony another deal over keeping Spider-Man in the MCU, which includes a seven-picture deal, new Avengers films, an appearance at the D23 Expo and more.
The info comes from TVO from the Lords of the Long Box YouTubechannel and his insider source who has connections at Disney Marvel.
Here are the other details of the rumored new deal:
– A 6-picture deal with Tom Holland, with an option for a 7th.
– There are three more Spider-Man films after Spider-Man 3, which will be a new trilogy.
– The second trilogy will focus on Peter Parker’s college years including plans for Peter to meet up and team up with Firestar and Ice Man of the X-Men (based in part on the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon).
– The other three movies are two Avengers films in which Spider-Man will have a larger role and become friends with Johnny Storm (Human Torch from the Fantastic Four).
– Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance all Spider-Man related movies for 30% of the full profits (Disney previously wanted 50%, but Sony said no, which led to the talks falling apart).
– Sony would distribute, but Disney will acquire exclusive digital and online rights for Disney Plus and affiliated TV networks.
– Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance SpiderVerse live-action spinoffs under the same terms.
– Venom will relocate into the MCU.
– Sony will be given permission for TV live-action programs based on SpiderVerse properties (Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man, but needs permission from Disney for TV rights)
– Disney wants the deal to be done before Saturday’s Marvel panel at D23 Expo.
– Spider-Man is also said to be a part of a D23 Expo panel.
– It’s said Tom Holland wants to stay with the MCU (it’s been reported both Holland and Zendaya unfollowed Sony on Instagram).
– If Sony was purchased by another company (like Apple), the Spider-Man film rights would go back to Disney, which Disney would love.
– Disney wants to take out Netflix and dominate the streaming world, making their shareholders happy, which includes Marvel Studios now working with Marvel TV (former Marvel TV Netflix characters are rumored to be coming to FX).
You can see the full post below.
Whether it is true or not, most of us are hopeful in seeing our friendly neighborhood Spider-man swinging in the MCU.
We just have to wait and see how this rumored deal will pan out.
Do you have anything to add to this story? Share your thoughts with us.