Last January, Comedy Cebu staged two successful shows during Sinulog weekend. The first one, “Laugh Trip #2”, a standing-room only show which happened at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu last January 16, and the following day, “SinuLOL!” at The Glass Space of The Henry Hotel at Banilad, Cebu City.
This February, Comedy Cebu will be having its first open mic show for all curious and aspiring stand-up comedians. Comedy Cebu aims not only to bring international stand-up comics to Cebu but also cultivate the local appreciation and talent for observational stand-up comedy and put Cebu on the international stand-up comedy circuit map along with other cities like Manila, Hongkong, Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai etc..
As a performing comedy group, Comedy Cebu hopes to attract and scout for promising comic talents, whether locals or expats, to join the group through open mic shows and competitions.
Comedy Cebu’s first open mic show will be happening at Kukuk’s Nest, 124 Gorordo Ave., Lahug, Cebu City, on February 26, 2015, from 8:30PM onwards. Gary Jackson, the founder of Comedy Cebu, James Caraan and Victor Anastacio, both from Comedy Manila will be guest performing in the open mic.
To join the open mic, interested parties may contact Iris by sending a message at +639052487908 or an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or they can also use social media by tweeting @ComedyCebu or messaging us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ComedyCebu.
Some guidelines and rules to be followed in preparing the material for the open mic show can be viewed in this video prepared by Gary Jackson himself https://www.youtube.
- Every open mic-er is allowed three minutes onstage, so we encourage everyone to prepare a tight 3-minute set to be performed onstage.
- We highly encourage English to be used as the medium for open mic-ers’ stage material, but we will also allow mixed Filipino/Cebuano-English sets.
- We advise the open mic-ers to avoid using jokes or material that is related to the three easiest comedy subjects: pornography, masturbation and sex. We are NOT prohibiting anyone to be a little “dirty” in their sets, but creativity without the easy push of blue material will be highly appreciated.
- Swearing or cussing will be allowed but we would also like to advise our open mic-ers to be able to deliver onstage without needing to resort to cussing as this will encourage performers to be more resourceful with their sets and performance instead of depending on the shock value of cuss words.
- Kindly note too that Comedy Cebu is a point-of-view stand-up comedy group, which means comedy material based on life observation and experiences is more than welcome, but insulting or making fun of a member/s of the audience will not be allowed.
There is no limit to the regularity of joining the open mic shows. Anyone can join our open mics every chance they get and it is open to everyone from age 16 and up, regardless of race, religion and gender orientation.