The Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) is celebrating Pride Month this June with PeliKULAYa: International LGBTQIA+ Film Festival in a hybrid format from June 10 to 26.
With the theme “Pantay-Pantay, Iba’t Ibang Kulay!,” this year’s PeliKULAYa aims to champion and empower members of the LGBTQIA+ community, while highlighting stories that delve into the underrepresented members of the LGBTQIA+ community, especially the trans community, through a lineup of film screenings of local and international films, film talks, and special events.
“This year, as we continue to fight for the freedom and rights of the LGBTQIA+ community, we also celebrate the achievements and support the causes of the members of the community this June. We, at the FDCP, are offering an eventful month through PeliKULAYa with a month-long lineup of film screenings and events to celebrate this significant month. Happy Pride Month from Team FDCP!” said FDCP Chairperson and CEO Liza Diño.
PeliKULAYa screenings, special events, and film talks
PeliKULAYa 2022 had its Grand Press Launch at the Amrak Comedy Restobar last Tuesday, June 7, to officially announce this year’s lineup of films and activities. The event was hosted by DJ Jhai Ho and was followed by the Pride Party and FDCP’s 20th Anniversary Celebration.
A total of 50 local and international films co-presented by partner embassies and organizations: the British Council, Embassy of Sweden, Embassy of Denmark, Embassy of Chile, Embassy of Spain, Embassy of Canada, Korean Cultural Center, US Embassy, Mexican Embassy, Instituto Cervantes, will be screened online and onsite as part of this year’s festival lineup.
Beginning June 10, there will be a one-time special screening of Isabel Sandoval’s Lingua Franca at the Cinematheque Centre Manila, while 6 subscription films and 1 available for rental on the FDCP Channel, including 10 films from this year’s PeliKULAYa LGBTQIA+ Short Film Competition and 6 films from Cinespectra Short Film Festival 2019 that can be streamed for free throughout the festival.
Opening Film (June 10)
Lingua Franca by Isabel Sandoval
- Gala Night at 7 p.m. at the FDCP Cinematheque Centre Manila
- With succeeding paid screenings at the FDCP Cinematheque Centres
- Ticket Price: P200.00
June 11, 2022 (Saturday)
FDCP Film Talks on Pelikulaya “The ABCs of SOGIE”
- A discussion that delves into the the basics of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity or Expression and the effects it brings to the lives of the Filipino members of the LGBTQIA+ community
- 2 p.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
Women Do Cry by Vesela Kazakova and Mina Mileva
- Featuring a special video message from the filmmakers
- 6 p.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
June 12, 2022 (Sunday)
Nick Deocampo will launch his book Alternative Cinema
- The book launch event will also screen four of his films as part of the Nick Deocampo Film Retrospective for this year’s festival: Oliver, Sex Warriors and the Samurai, Private Wars, and Memories of Old Manila.
- 10:30 a.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
June 16, 2022 (Thursday)
A special screening of Boys Don’t Cry
- Will be followed by a talkback session
- Co-presented by the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines
- 5:30 p.m. at the Cinematheque Center Manila
The PeliKULAYa: Short Film Competition – Set A
- Mga Kuan by Jermaine Tulbo
- Cut/Off by Von Victor Viernes & Sean Russel Romero
- As if Nothing Happened by JT Trinidad
- Kubli by Jam Navalta
- This is Not A Coming Out Story by Mark Felix Ebreo
- Gala Night at 6 p.m. at the Cinema ‘76 Anonas
- The event will be attended by the filmmakers of the short films for a talkback session after the screenings
June 17, 2022 (Friday)
PeliKULAYa: Short Film Competition – Set B
- We Were Never Really Strangers by Patrick Pangan
- Second Gear by Christian Angelo Cruz
- Kung Sa Diin Ang Suba Tarabuan by Seth Andrew Blanca
- Baklaak by Gabb Gantala
- Nang Maglublob Ako sa Isang Mangkok ng Liwanag by Kukay Zinampan
- Gala Night will be at 6 p.m. at the Cinema ‘76 Anonas
- followed by a talkback session with the filmmakers of the competing films
Gutierrez “Teng” Mangansakan II’s Topografia
- World premiere at 6 p.m.
- Will be followed by a talkback session at the Cinematheque Centre Davao
June 18, 2022 (Saturday)
The FDCP Film Talks on PeliKULAYa “The Color Reel”
- A panel discussion on the roles members of the LGBTQIA+ community are taking on as part of the audiovisual industry.
- 2:30 p.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
Jun Robles Lana’s Big Night!
- Gala Night at 6 p.m. followed by a talkback session
The “From His/Her/Their Lens: A Nick Deocampo Film Retrospective”
- Sex Warriors and the Samurai
- Private Wars
- Memories of Old Manila
- Gala Event will be at 2 p.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Iloilo
- The event will also screen Deocampo’s Private Wars and Oliver.
June 19, 2022 (Sunday)
Ivan Andrew Payawal’s Gameboys The Movie
- Gala Night followed by a talkback session
- 6 p.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
Special screening of Markova: Comfort Gay by Gil Portes
- 5 p.m. at the Metropolitan Theater
June 24, 2022 (Friday)
Special screenings of Manila By Night by Ishmael Bernal and Esoterika: Maynila by Elwood Perez at the Cinematheque Centre Manila in celebration of Manila Day.
June 25, 2022 (Saturday)
The FDCP Film Talks on PeliKULAYa “Trans Representation in Media”
- A panel discussion that delves into the representation of transexuals in Philippine media, how it has evolved, and what else needs to be done.
- 11:30 a.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
Closing Film (June 25)
Boys Don’t Cry (co-presented by the US Embassy)
- 5:30 p.m. at the Cinematheque Centre Manila
- With preceding screenings at FDCP Cinematheque Centre Manila only
There will also be screenings of the films of PeliKULAYa: Short Film Competition finalists, Healthy Pilipinas Short Film Festival, and CineIskool Film Lab and Festival at Gateway Cinemas.
June 26, 2022 (Sunday)
The PeliKULAYa 2022 Closing Program “Para sa Makulay na Bukas!” will serve as the closing event of this year’s festival. The winners of the PeliKULAYa: Short Film Competition will be announced during this event.
The PeliKULAYa: International LGBTQIA+ Film Festival is presented by the Film Development Council of the Philippines, powered by FDCP Channel, Cinematheque Centres, and Nood Tayo Ng Sine, in partnership with the British Council, Embassy of Sweden, Embassy of Denmark, Embassy of Chile, Embassy of Spain, Embassy of Canada, Korean Cultural Center, US Embassy, Mexican Embassy, Instituto Cervantes, Metropolitan Theater, and Cinema ‘76, Gateway Cineplex, and the Metropolitan Theater.
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad! Get the latest news about the Philippine Entertainment industry and join the WIM Showbiz Facebook group! We also share our stories on Viber, join us!