The Metropolitan Opera, along with a number of other famed New York institutions, has been forced to close down in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Although performances have been canceled until the end of the month, the show must go on! And so from March 16 until the opera doors reopen, the Met will be streaming a title from its Live in HD series each night on the company’s homepage.
The performances were originally captured as live broadcasts in movie theatres around the globe. The streams will begin at 7:30 PM each night while the videos will remain available for 20 hours following the initial stream.
Below is the schedule for the first week, along with details of the recorded performance:
- Monday, March 16: Bizet’s “Carmen,” conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Elīna Garanča and Roberto Alagna. (January 16, 2010.)
- Tuesday, March 17: Puccini’s “La Bohème,” conducted by Nicola Luisotti, starring Angela Gheorghiu and Ramón Vargas (April 5, 2008).
- Wednesday, March 18: Verdi’s “Il Trovatore,” conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Dolora Zajick, Yonghoon Lee and Dmitri Hvorostovsky (Oct. 3, 2015).
- Thursday, March 19: Verdi’s “La Traviata,” conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Flórez and Quinn Kelsey (Dec. 15, 2018).
- Friday, March 20: Donizetti’s “La Fille du Régiment,” conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez (April 26, 2008).
- Saturday, March 21: Donizetti’s “Lucia di Lammermoor,” conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczała and Mariusz Kwiecien (Feb. 7, 2009).
- Sunday, March 22: Tchaikovsky’s “Eugene Onegin,” conducted by Valery Gergiev, starring Renée Fleming, Ramón Vargas, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky (Feb. 24, 2007).
What do you think about this?
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM Squad!