During the quarantine, the days go by in a blur, and we often lose track of time. Despite this, though, food remains to be a constant— not just breakfast, lunch, and dinner; but even the side snacks and merienda in-between.
Whether it’s for breakfast or merienda, champorado is a hearty meal to have. This sweet porridge is made with rice, chocolate, and your choice of either milk or coconut milk. Some pair it with dried fish— tuyo— for a salty contrast, while others pair it with pandesal to fill them up nicely. If you’re looking for a more creative spin on this classic, food blog Certified Foodies shares their take on this classic: Champorado with Cheese!
Made with Eden cheese and Cadbury chocolate, their champorado is rich and sweet; but with a salty and cheesy taste incorporated in the mix. It’s very easy to make, too! Check out their recipe here:
Cadbury Champorado with Eden Cheese
- 250 grams Cadbury Dairy Milk
- 1 cup Sticky Rice
- 5 cups Water
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup Eden Cheese, grated
- Heat Cadbury Dairy Milk in a microwave for 30-second intervals until fully melted, then set aside.
- Wash sticky rice, and then drain the liquid.
- In a pot, add your sticky rice and water. Let it boil, then lower the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Pour in the melted Cadbury chocolate and sugar, then stir at low heat until the granules are fully dissolved.
- Scoop the champorado into bowls, and garnish it with evaporated milk and Eden cheese. Enjoy!
Doesn’t this look yummy? Share your recipes with us, and we might just feature them!
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at story.wheninmanila@gmail.