While stand-up comedy has already gained a familiar territory abroad with comedians like Russell Peters, Kevin Hart and Rex Navarrete, it is yet to garner the mainstream audience it deserves here in the Philippines.
If you don’t know yet, yes. We have Pinoy stand-up comedy and this is not your typical okrayan (mocking of audience) which people laugh at the expense of others. This is observational stand-up comedy by homegrown Filipino comedians. In fact, Comedy Manila will be having its biggest show yet this November 29 at the Music Museum!
What is Stand-Up Comedy?
Stand-up comedy is a first-person perspective on current issues, self-depreciation, or using one’s personal experience and transforming it into something the crowd will digest into laughs. Okay, that doesn’t sound simple at all.
To really understand what stand-up comedy is, there’s only one thing you need to do – you go and watch a show and experience it LIVE! Nothing explains stand-up more than enjoying a live show. Believe me, I have witnessed it and words cannot explain the fun I had the first time I watched Filipino comedians on stage doing original material that is really funny.
Stand-up comedy is more than just big laughs and a fun time. It has science-backed evidence that stand-up comedy is beneficial to our sanity as well.
5. Comedy boosts your confidence
I find that watching stand-up comedy always makes me feel good about myself, and it’s not because I’ve had some life altering self-discovery moment. It will make you realize that all the weird stuff you do and all the things you think are true to someone else, too.
4. Comedy reduces your stress response
When you laugh, there’s a contraction of muscles, which increases blood flow and oxygenation. It stimulates the heart and lungs and triggers the release of endorphins that help you to feel more relaxed both physically and emotionally.
3. Laughter combats depression
Scientific studies support laughter as a great way to get outside the downward spiral to depression. Being unhappy can become a pattern or mindset if we don’t step outside of ourselves occasionally. Even forced laughter releases a cocktail of hormones, neuropeptides, and dopamine that can start to improve your mood.
2. Laughter is contagious
The discovery of mirror neurons—what causes you to smile when someone smiles at you—gives credence to the belief that laughter is contagious. So watching a live stand-up comedy allows you to make each other smile, too!
1. Resilient people Are more successful in life
Resilience is the ability to see failure as a natural progression to success rather than as a negative outcome. People who are resilient are happier and more successful. The ability to acknowledge mistakes without becoming angry or frustrated plays an important role in developing resilience. Laughing at mistakes allows us to recognize that making errors is a part of being human.
Here’s your once in a lifetime chance to see the funniest Pinoy stand-up comedians perform live in their biggest show yet! Don’t miss this milestone event as all the best stand-up comedians in the Philippines gather and combine their comedy forces to put on the funniest show ever!
Line up of Pinoy stand-up comedians:
- Victor Anastacio, Jack TV Laffapalooza Champion and O-Shopping host
- Alex Calleja, Funniest Person In The World contestant, Boys Night Out Magic 89.9 and ABS CBN talent and writer
- Nonong Ballinan, ABS CBN’s funny man from Home Sweetie Home and PBB
- James Caraan, Bara Bara TV host and finalist of ABS CBN’s Clown In A Million
- Nace Cruz, 2014 America Meets World Comedy Competition champion
- Derf Hebrado, 2015 Magners International Comedy Festival comedian
- Jeps Gallon, 2015 Magners International Comedy Festival comedian
- GB Labrador, Comedy Central 2016 Melbourne International Comedy Festival comedian
- Red Ollero, PTV’s Bara Bara host and finalist of the HK Comedy Festival
- Ryan Rems, Showtime Funny Juan grand champion
PINOY STAND-UP COMEDY REVOLUTION
Featuring the best of Comedy Manila!
November 29, 2016, 8:00pm @ The Music Museum, Greenhills, San Juan
Buy Tickets at Music Museum, SM Cinemas or click https://smtickets.com/events/view/5098
LIKE their Facebook page for details https://www.facebook.com/ComedyManila/