Many have criticized vice presidential candidate Leni Robredo on her lack of political experience, but her new campaign video shows that she makes up for it with her years of experience in service.
The video proudly shows how she supports families, farmers, and women. In the end, she rides a public utility bus, a reference to a photo that went viral where the Camarines Sur representative was seen waiting along a highway for a bus to get home to Naga.
Her humility and lack of affectation is a reflection of her late husband Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo’s tsinelas leadership, which made the couple a political darling.
According to Energy Secretary Rene Almendras:
Tsinelas leadership is the willingness to wade in the flood, willing to go where you normally do not go, to the most remote areas, just to be with the most disadvantaged people. We all know Sec Jesse rarely said no; that was why he was one of the most traveled Cabinet members.
Jesse Robredo passed away in 2012 when the aircraft he was riding crashed off the shore of Masbate. After his death, Leni promised to continue her husband’s advocacies.
Leni founded the Lakas ng Kababaihan ng Naga Federation, an organization that provides training and livelihood opportunities for women, and the Local Poverty Reduction Action Team (LPRAT), which helps alleviate poverty. She is considered a supporter of the Freedom of Information Act and the Bangsamoro Basic Law, and was also one of the authors of the Tax Incentives Transparency bill.
She passed the following bills:
- House Bill 4911 or the People Empowerment Bill: Seeks to create a system of partnership between local governments and civil society organizations through the establishment of a people’s council in every local government unit
- HB 3432 or Comprehensive Anti-Discrimination Bill: Seeks to prohibit discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expressions, language, disability, HIV status, and other status, and will provide penalties for it
- HB 4021 or Healthy Beverage Options Bill: Seeks to regulate the availability of beverages to children in schools and for other purposes
- HB 19 or Full Disclosure Policy Bill: Seeks to require the full disclosure of all information on fiscal management from all national government departments, bureaus, agencies and other instrumentalities, including government-owned or controlled corporation, and their subsidiaries and local governments
- HB 3905 or Participatory Budget Process Bill: Seeks to institutionalize citizens’ participation in the budget process and for other processes
- HB 3237 or Freedom of Information Bill: Seeks to strengthen the right of citizens to information held by the government
Watch the campaign video below:
Will you vote for Leni? Share your thoughts below!