This Barangay Was Placed Under Total Shutdown for Holding Boxing Matches and Bingo Games

Note: The cover photo is a stock image and not the actual barangay.

Barangay 20 in Manila City has been put under 24-hour total shutdown by Mayor  Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.

The decision was made after the mayor discovered residents in the area had been conducting leisure activities such as bingo games and boxing matches despite social distancing guidelines. There was reportedly a video going around social media showing about 100 individuals participating in an “informally organized boxing match” along a street in Barangay 20.

(Manila City starts localized targeted mass testing operations for COVID-19)

“Barangay residents now face immense risk of exposure to COVID-19,” Moreno said.

Aside from the shutdown, Moreno also ordered immediate disease surveillance, testing, and rapid risk assessment operations in the barangay.

As per Executive Order No. 19, the barangay will be placed under a total shutdown from 8:00 pm on April 14, 2020 until 8:00 pm on April 15, 2020. The shutdown entails restricting residents from leaving their homes as well as the barangay council ceding operations to the local government unit.

“All commercial, industrial, retail, institutional and other activities in the said barangay shall be suspended within the specified period of the shutdown,” Moreno added.

What do you think about this?

Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at story.wheninmanila@gmail.com or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Interact with the team and join the WhenInManila.com Community at WIM SquadJoin our WhenInManila.com community on Viber, as well!

[fb_instant_article_ad_01]?




Related Stories