Image Source: http://earthquake.usgs.gov
A magnitude 7.2 earthquake hits provinces in Central Visayas and some parts of Mindanao earlier today.
According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, the quake’s epicenter occurred two kilometers of Carmen, Bohol.
The earthquake, which was reported to happen at 8:12 a.m., hit at a depth of 33 kilometers.
Phivolcs reported that the following intensities were felt:
- Intensity 7 in Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Intensity 6 in Hinigaran, Negros Occidental
- Intensity 5 in Iloilo City and La Carlota City in Iloilo
- Intensity 4 in Masbate City, Roxas City, San Jose Culasi in Antique, and Guihulngan in Negros Oriental
- Intensity 3 in Davao City
Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum said on a TV interview that the earthquake lasted for 30 seconds. It is also reported that damage from the quake was expected and aftershocks as well.
Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake Jolts Central Visayas