by: Trixie Ann DC. Bautista
In line with National Children’s Month, Streets to Schools (STS) calls for short films that champion children’s rights. This film festival is entitled Karapatan at Kabataan: Paligsahan ng mga Maikling Pelikula. Youth groups, schools, and organizations are welcome to join the search with films that have been produced within 2015 to 2020.
- Youth filmmakers below 30 years old are eligible.
- There should be at least one (1) official representative throughout the competition.
- Films produced from 2015 to 2020 are eligible to join.
- Different styles of short films are eligible (documentary, experimental, others).
- Short films can be in English of Filipino. Subtitles are optional.
- Short films should only be 5 to 20 minutes including opening sequence and credits.
- Short films that have already won awards in other contests are eligible to join.
- The theme of the competition will center on UNCRC and the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The 1st year of the Karapatan at Kabataan: Paligsahan ng mga Maikling Pelikula was co-presented by the Consuelo Zobel Alger Foundation, Bahay Tuluyan, Child’s Rights Network, Film Development Council of the Philippines, and more. The said films tackled different topics such as: extrajudicial killings, freedom of speech, minimum age of criminal responsibility, child labor, among others. The finalists are given networks and opportunities to broadcast their films and advocacy to the public.
“The goal is to help youth learn the UN Conventions on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) by creating advocacy statements and films to prove that young people can help address child abuse in the Philippines”
PelikuLansangan is an online film fundraiser launched during the lockdown to ask the public for financial assistance for the frontliners and children during the COVID-19 pandemic. With the help of partners, STS was able to raise more than PHP 150, 000.00 to aid frontliners in 151 hospitals in 31 regions and to create opportunities for children in General Santos City, Benguet, and Maguindanao to continue distance learning initiatives by providing portable radios, school kits, hygiene materials, and more. PelikuLansangan is recognized as one of the 20 National Finalists of the Ten Accomplished Youth Organization (TAYO) Awards.
For more information on the film competition, you may contact Trixie Bautista 09950758014 or Jerald Trambulo 09176751512. You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or message the organization’s Facebook page.