Slapshock vocalist and frontman Jamir Garcia has passed away this morning, November 26, 2020. He was 42 years old.
According to reports, Garcia was found lifeless at his home in Brgy. Sangandaan, Quezon City from an apparent suicide. He was allegedly declared dead on arrival at Metronorth Hospital.
The news comes after the band announced on October 2020 that they will be breaking up after 23 years of making music due to growing tensions within the group. “Honestly, the friction among [the band’s] members had been brewing for years,” bassist Lee Nadela told the Daily Tribune. “The pandemic brought a lot of challenges and taught us a lot of lessons. Friendships, loyalty, intentions, and our sense of brotherhood were tested.”
Slapshock is one of the most iconic Filipino bands in history, rising to fame for their heavy-metal music. They’ve garnered many awards and nominations over the years, including Band of the Year at the NU107 Rock Awards in 2001 and 2002, and for Best Artist by MTV Asia in 2003.
They released their most recent and seventh album, “Atake,” in 2017.
May he rest in peace.
- Natasha Goulbourn Foundation (NGF) – (02) 804-HOPE (4673), 0917 558 HOPE (4673) or 2919 (toll-free for GLOBE and TM subscribers)
- Manila Lifeline Centre (MLC) – (02) 8969191 or 0917 854 9191.
- In Touch Community Services Crisis Lines – For relationship problems, addiction, abuse, other emotional problems. +632 893 7603, 0917 8001123, 0922 8938944. Email at email@example.com.
- Living Free Foundation – For addiction, individual and marital counseling. 0917 322 7087. Email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dial-a-Friend – (02) 5251743 or (02) 5251881.
Do you have a story for the WhenInManila.com Team? Email us at email@example.com or send us a direct message at WhenInManila.com Facebook Page. Get the latest news about the Philippine Entertainment industry and join the WIM Showbiz Facebook group! We also share our stories on Viber, join us!