When In Manila, February is celebrated as the National Arts Month! Discover and appreciate Filipino art and culture with all the different events and activities lined up for us! This year’s theme is “Ani ng Sining” and the emphasis is on Filipino cultural icons.
Events from this year’s Philippine Art Festival include the following:
- Cinema Rehiyon 5 at UPLB which commenced last Feb 5-8
- Sayaw Pinoy 2013 with 30 dance performances in various locations
- Taboan 2013: Philippine Literary Arts Festival to be held in Dumaguete City
- Tunog-Tugan: First International Gongs and Bamboo Music Festival to be held in Dipolog City and Baguio City
- Tanghal 2013 which will showcase the works of various theater groups from Marikina, Albay , Bohol and Cagayan De Oro City.
- Philippine Visual arts Festival which will be held in Pagadian City
The country has been celebrating the different and beautiful arts and culture of the Philippines every year on February since 1991. The National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) heads this project and it was in 2007 when these celebrations were finally dubbed as the “Philippine Arts Festival”.
Not only will the coming celebrations enrich our artistic and cultural experiences, but it will also pay tribute to those artists and cultural workers who create, protect, and encourage culture and the arts. The Ani ng Dangal Awards will be held at the Malacañan Palace on the first week of March. Awardees include:
Architecture and Allied Arts
- Architect Abelardo Tolentino Jr., Aidea Philippines, Inc.
- Kenneth Cobonpue, “Cabaret Sofa”
- Adrian Sibal, “The Rivals”
- Auraeus Solito, “Busong”
- Brillante Mendoza, “Thy Womb”
- Charles Andrew Flamiano “Letting Go, Letting God”
- Christopher Gozum, “Anacbuana”
- Eduardo Roy Jr., “Bahay Bata”
- John Paul Su, “Pagpag”
- Lav Diaz, “Florentinahubaldo CTE”
- Lawrence Fajardo “Posas”
- Marlon Rivera, “Ang Babae sa Septic Tank”
- Marty Syjuco, “Give Up Tomorrow”
- Nora Aunor, “Thy Womb”
- Shamaine Buencamino, “Niño”
- Will Fredo, “The Caregiver”
- Engr. Jaime Sumugat Singlador
- George Tapan
- Jamia Mei Tolentino
- Jamille Bianca Aguilar
- Joel C. Forte
- Jophel Ybiosa
- Trisha Co Reyes
- Candice Adea
- Halili Cruz Ballet Company
- The Crew
- Peter De Guzman, “Ang Romansa ni Magno Rubio”
- Romulo Baquiran, Jr.
- Arwin Tan
- Baao Children Chorus
- Edgardo “Ed” Lumbera Manguiat
- Joseleo Ciballos Logdat
- Miriam College High School Glee Club
- Muntinlupa Science High School Chorale
- Novo Concertante Manila Choir
- Samiweng Singers, Ilocos Norte National High School (INNHS)
- University of the Philippines Singing Ambassadors
- UP Concert Chorus
- BBDO Guerrero,
- Kara David, i-Witness, GMA 7
- Sarah Geronimo
- Wansapanataym. ABS-CBN Corporation
Also a notable event would be Likha ASYA, a festival and conference on “Community Theater, Creative Industries and Community-Based Tourism for Sustainable Livelihoods”. This is brought to you by Lihok Bisaya and other similar groups from Asia. Likha ASYA will be held in Bohol from February 26-28.
Let’s celebrate culture and the arts, When In Manila, with this year’s Philippine Arts Festival.
For more details on the activities and schedules of the Philippine Arts Festival, contact PAF: Ani ng Dangal project coordinator Michael Vincent Custodio at (02) 527.2192 local 302 or at 0917.899.7886. Log on to www.ncca.gov.ph or email us at email@example.com
Philippine Arts Festival 2013: Showcasing The Country’s Arts on National Arts Month