On its third year, the #BuwanNgMgaAkdangPinoy campaign invites everyone to share their beloved Filipino works within––and beyond––social media––and to enjoy the many opportunities to discover some essential Pinoy works, win lots of local books, and give back to deserving groups and communities.
Hosted by Palanca award winner and Filipino author Edgar Calabia Samar, this campaign celebrating Pinoy works includes a competition, creation of a list of essential Pinoy books and publications, and gifting of book packages to schools and organizations in various parts of the country.
Samar is the author of the Janus Silang series, a Filipino young adult novel about a teenager whose life is changed by an online RPG (role-playing game). He says he launched this competition as a form of tribute to all the literary works by Filipinos he read growing up, from Edgardo M. Reyes’ novel, Rod Santiago comics in the Liwayway magazine to Lualhati Bautista novels and Jim Fernandez and Pablo S. Gomez stories on Pilipino Komiks and Hiwaga.
How to join the competition
- Enter your own work or nominate your favorite Pinoy works by posting the links to the works on the comments section of the contest page (www.santinakpan.com/single-post/BuwanNgMgaAkdangPinoy2017). Make sure the blogs or social media posts are public.
- Use the hashtag #BuwanNgMgaAkdangPinoy.
- Indicate in which category you are joining or nominating the work.
The competition is now no longer limited to works in Filipino. They can be in any language, as long as the works were seen or published on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, blog, etc.). You can share your favorite song, movie, art works, poetry, and other creations by Filipinos. Entries will be accepted until August 31.
There are five categories:
1. Pinakamalikhaing Larawan (Most Creative Image/Photo/Artwork)
2. Pinakamahusay na Written Post (Best Written Post)
3. Pinakamahusay na Video (Best Video)
4. Pinakamaraming Share/Like/RT (Post with most number of shares/like/repost)
5. Pinakamahusay na Themed Posts (Best Themed Posts)
There will be two winners per category. The prizes for the winners of the first four categories are:
- PHP2000 gift check that can be used to purchase books at the Manila International Book Fair (MIBF) in September this year.
- Two tickets to the staging of Tanghalang Ateneo’s Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanáng Manananggal-Mambabárang in Setyembre–Oktubre.
- Signed copies of Alternatibong Mundo: 13 Metakuwento/Malakuwento and the first three volumes of the Janus Silang Series and Alternatibo.
- Merchandise package from Linya-Linya shirts
- Newly-published book from Haliya Publishing
- Newest Visprint title
- One of Mesándel Virtusio Arguelles’ books, either Pesoa or Chi
The two winners of the fifth category will receive a MIBF PHP5000 gift check plus all the other prizes.
Samar also invited 12 artists from different fields to come up with 144 essential Pinoy works in the past 12 years (2006-2017) in poetry, plays, romance, humor, fantastic fiction, Muslim lit, graphic lit, children’s lit, film, TV shows, music, and spoken word. The list can be viewed on his blog.
There is still time to join or nominate your favorite Pinoy works and share your love of reading to friends this #BuwanNgMgaAkdangPinoy!
Care to also share your favorite Pinoy works here? Please post in the comments below!