Guam: Top 10 Things to do on the Island
When in Manila and in need of a vacation, consider flying to Guam in the Mariana Islands! A tropical paradise on American territory in Micronesia, this beautiful island is a mere 3.5 hour flight away from Manila. Amongst the pristine beaches, excellent diving opportunities, great shopping and friendly people, Guam offers something for every visitor. When headed for this tropical destination, make sure to read our recommendations for the Top 10 Things to do on the Island:
1. Attend a local event
One of the best ways to get to know any country or new place is to mingle with locals and experience their culture. Do this by attending an event during your stay. Plan ahead by checking what your destination has to offer in the upcoming months. Here a list of year-round events on Guam:
During our Guam visit we attended the Mango Festival. Tons of fun meeting local people and exploring the different quirky booths that offered anything mango: from the traditional mango shake/smoothie, mango jams, mango jewelry to mango donuts.
Who doesn’t love to shop? A favorite sport of Filipinos, this activity may be on the top of your vacation to-do list. If so, you are lucky in that Guam is not only a tropical but also a shopping paradise and fulfills all your money-spending wants and needs: whether you are looking for high-end brands, cosmetics, food, gifts, gadgets or low-cost quality products, Guam has it all! Not to mention that you get to enjoy all of this tax free! Find anything you need at one of these places:
- Micronesia Mall
- Guam Premier Outlets
- Agana Shopping Center
- DFS Galleria – Duty Free Shopping Mall where all the high-end name brands you can think of are located.
- K Mart – Food, groceries, toiletries, cosmetics, inexpensive clothes, gadgets, books, DVDs, etc. K-Mart is a one-stop shop for absolutely everything.
- SM Store – Yes, Guam also has a ShoeMart! Coming from Manila, this does not really require a visit but it’s nonetheless good to know that the island has an SM.
3. Two Lovers Point (Puntan Dos Amantes)
Legend has it that long ago a young girl from a noble Spanish family and a simple Chamorro boy forbiddingly fell in love. Without the realistic prospect of a future together, they leaped over the steep cliff to be forever united in their afterlife. Today this cliff in Tamuning is known as ‘Two Lovers Point’.
An absolute must-visit place during day or night, don’t miss ‘Puntan Dos Amantes’ for breathtaking views of the island, the shore and perfect photo ops!
Tip: go in the late afternoon to take advantage of both daylight shots as well as best views of the sunset!
Unsurprisingly, Guam offers stunning nature. The island has several beautiful waterfalls that are well visit-worthy, both for a hike as well as a swim. Take your pick and visit one of these beauties of nature:
- Inahangan Falls in Talofofo
- Tarzan Falls
- Sigua Falls
- Namo Falls
5. City Tour
Since Guam isn’t too big of an island, it won’t take you long to discover the city. Spend half a day (Hafa Adai?!) driving to a few key points and you will get a good general impression of the city. Some suggested stops:
- Latte Stone Park – A display of 8 latte stones that are pillars on which ancient Chamorro houses were built on.
- Plaza de Espana – A historical landmark, where – during the Spanish occupation – the Governors Palace was located at.