An Elvis Presley biopic is in the pipeline and Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) will be directing it.
One of the challenging parts is casting the lead role. As of the moment, five stars are being considered. These are Harry Styles, Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Austin Butler.
The upcoming biopic follows the success of movies like Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman.
Meanwhile, Tom Hanks has already signed up to play The King’s manager Colonel Tom Parker.
Initially, Luhrmann said that he wanted to cast someone unknown to play the lead role. However, with the five stars in the running, it seems that it is far from the original plan.
According to reports, the five stars have already undergone a test at Warner Bros for the lead role.
Here’s a brief background of the five actors.
- Harry Styles, a member of the now-disbanded boy band One Direction, made his professional acting debut in 2017’s Dunkirk.
- Miles Teller starred in Whiplash, War Dogs, the 2015 Fantastic Four flop, and is set to feature in Top Gun 2 next year.
- Ansel Elgort is known for playing the titular role in Baby Driver and is currently shooting Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story remake.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson is Kick-Ass and Quicksilver in Avengers: Age of Ultron. He also notably portrayed John Lennon in Nowhere Boy.
- Austin Butler starred on The Shannara Chronicles TV show and will be in Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.
So, who do you think should play Elvis Presley?