The UPLB Economics Society, together with the Department of Economics (DE) of the College of Economics and Management in the University of the Philippines Los Baños, (UPLB), DTI Laguna, National Union of Students of the Philippines, National Economic and Development Authority, Kilusang Mayo Uno, and University of the Philippines Debate Society (UPDS) conducted ECONVERGENCE, an annual inter-high school scholastic convention that aims to promote appreciation of economics through the analysis of relevant social issues in the country.
This year’s theme of ECONVERGENCE is: “Philippine Economy at a Turning Point: Drifting Towards Improvements in Education and Employment in the New Era”. The event was held on February 5 and 6, 2022 via Zoom.
For the past 16 years, ECONVERGENCE has been well participated by various high schools nationwide. The different competitions and activities offered by ECONVERGENCE have been serving as avenues for students to showcase their skills and knowledge in the application of economic concepts. Furthermore, ECONVERGENCE has been serving as a platform for enhancing the teaching methods of economics through its Economics Teachers’ Convention (ETC).
The two-day event was attended by 135 students and 40 teachers from all over the country which includes a seminar convention and six competitions namely EKONOMIKA Quiz Contest, Intellectual Encounter Debate Competition, Essay-writing Competition, Traditional Poster-making Competition, Digital Poster-making Competition, and Impromptu Speaking Competition,
This year, ECONVERGENCE consisted of 20 participating schools, namely:
- Acelina School, Inc. – Quezon City
- Adamson University – Metro Manila
- Alangilan National High School
- Angeles University Foundation
- Angelicum School, Inc. – Iloilo City
- Bernardo College – Las Pinas City
- Colegio San Agustin – Makati City
- Davao Chong Hua High School
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy
- Immaculate Heart of Mary College – Paranaque City
- Our Lady of Pillar Montessori Center
- Philippine Science High School – CARAGA Region Campus
- Philippine Science High School – CALABARZON Campus
- Philippine Science High School – Central Visayas Campus
- Philippine Science High School – Eastern Visayas Campus
- Philippine Science High School – Ilocos Region Campus
- Philippine Science High School – Main Campus
- Philippine Science High School – Western Visayas Campus
- San Beda College Alabang
- St. James High School – Agusan Del Norte
The participating students in ECONVERGENCE 2022 had a perspective on how the Philippine Economy is now at its turning point, drifting towards the improvements, surpassing the pandemic and its negative effects, and bringing development in the current education set-up and employment competitiveness. As future leaders, students must be aware of the current economic condition of the country and use this to gauge and help them visualize how they can help the country in improving, most especially in the Education and Employment sector which was heavily affected by the pandemic.