Last February 27, 2016, we held the recently concluded Bacardi UMIX Bartending Challenge for University Students at Café Enye in Eastwood City in Libis, Quezon City. This event was attended by different Hotel and Restaurant Management schools from Metro Manila, Cavite and Baguio. As the event commenced at 2pm the place will filled with students, teachers, guests, and an overflowing Cuba Libre for everyone to enjoy.
Now on its 3rd year, this competition was set up in order for us to develop the students who aspire to be future bartenders and eventually join the Bacardi Legacy Global Competition which is incidentally is on its first year here in our country. The format of this competition still uses the “Talking Bartender” where each will make an original cocktail while explaining it to the audience.This event is the culminating activity of the Bacardi University Tour held last September.
To help with finding out this year’s champion, the event had the following panel of judges:
Adrian Gearing from Holland America Line Training Center, Azrael Colladilla , a prominent blogger, Mark Tolentino of Revel Bar and one of the top 5 finalists of Bacardi Legacy, Mark Bernandino of Scarlet Bar and on of the top 5 finalists of Bacardi Legacy, and Ito Zamora, Bacardi Philippines representative.
Here is the list of contestants with their schools and cocktail entry in chronological order:
1. Charmaine Dela Paz – LPU MANILA – The Last Resolve
2. Joven Cacao – MANILA TAYTANA COLLEGES – Artocarpus Drive
3. Kang Bada – MANILA TAYTANA COLLEGES – Curcuma Longa Cooler
4. Aizelle Mae Gallardo – UNIVERSITY OF BAGUIO -Constancy
5. Perryn Angelo Sta. Cruz – UNIVERSITY OF THE CORDILLERAS – Haciendero
6. Kirby Diclas – UNIVERSITY OF BAGUIO – Mi Corazon
7. Grant Jayson Kutsukawa – DELA SALLE DASMARINAS – Kazu
8. Joshua Torres – Emilio Aguinaldo College – El Bicolandia
9. Ciao WyncieGuico – DELA SALLE DASMARINAS – Crookie
10. Nino Joseph Ventura – FAREASTERN UNIVERSITY – Pomejito
11. Princess Elayza Jayne R. Co – UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS – Saresa
12. Jane Dianne F. Nabung – UNIVERSITY OF THE CORDILLERAS – La Maestro
13. Catherine Distor – EMILIO AGUINALDO COLLEGE – Sailor’s Pride
14. SherelynTantiado – FAR EASTERN UNIVERSITY – Mon Soleil
15. Virginia M. Guzman – UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS -Verge
16. John Anthony Caballes – LPU MANILA – Ophiuchus Wand
The competition was pretty tight since all of the participants gave their all. Each had a story to tell based on their personal experience. Each cocktail was well thought of with each ingredient having an explanation. The judges had a tough time deliberating but finally were able to come up with the winners.
The Bacardi UMIX Bartending Competition for Students 2016 winners are:
First Place – John Anthony Caballes( Lyceum of the Philippines Manila)
Second Place- Charmaine Dela Paz (Lyceum of the Philippines Manila)
Third Place – Jane Dianne Nabung (University of the Cordilleras)
Best in Cocktail and Best in Presentation:
Princess Elayza Jayne R. Co (University of Santo Tomas)
The top placers all received cash prizes and Bartending kits courtesy of Bacardi Philippines. This event would not have been possible without the support of all the schools that have participated, Bevtools, and our official media sponsor When in Manila.com.
Thank you very much to Bacardi Philippines for continuously coming up with advocacy programs that help develop students who aspire to be professional bartenders in the future.
See you next year. Cheers!