Poster by Railey Montalan, Christian Llave, and Coleen Young
The Ateneo Association of Communication Majors (ACOMM) brings back School Invasion, the annual school tour that aims to promote responsible use of media and media literacy to high school students. On the 5th, 11th, 12th, 18th, and 19th of November 2016, a series of talks and workshops will be conducted by resource speakers from the various fields of communication across public and private high schools in Quezon City.
To celebrate the 14th year of the premiere media and communication organization of the Ateneo, ACOMM extends their hand in continuing to form proactive and socially responsible media practitioners and leaders of tomorrow. By living up to the Ignatian beliefs of excellence and integrity, the Ateneo School Invasion aims to address five (5) relevant issues regarding the responsible use of media, namely:
- Image and Identity on Social Media – a talk on how students can effectively promote a positive image and identity on their social media accounts and on how to filter the content of their posts and materials that they share
- Online Etiquette – a talk to promote a safer online community by informing the students of the responsible use of social media. One of the goals of this talk is to prevent cyberbullying by providing the students with online etiquette and promoting the “think before you click” campaign.
- Online Entrepreneurship – a talk that will inform students of the possible business opportunities that social media can provide. This will hopefully inspire them to establish their own online businesses.
- Blogging – a talk that will encourage students to use social media as a platform for self-expression. This will guide the students on how to promote the materials they produce such as videos, photographs and literary works on various social media platforms.
- Online Discourse – a talk that aims to make students be actively involved in positive online discourses on current events. This will help them understand that by voicing out their opinions on various issues, they can bring about positive impacts to the social media landscape. Another aim of this talk is to help students identify which sources are credible from those that are satire.
For more information, follow Ateneo ACOMM on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@AteneoACOMM) for updates.