When in Manila and sick and tired of the heat and humidity, a quick drive up the cool mountain city of Baguio is perhaps one of the best respites for the weary.
The seven-hour drive may be a tad too unbearable, especially for a quick weekend getaway (that’s 14 hours on the road in all!), but we’re pretty sure Baguio more than makes up for it with its climate, good & affordable eats, and of course, comfortable beds that make it so difficult to get up at 8 AM (too early!).
We’ve been staying in Baguio for years, and we must admit it’s a bit tricky to find travel accommodations with good enough amenities that don’t charge as much. But when you’re after great value for the whole family, we highly recommend Azalea Residences along Leonard Wood for a couple of reasons:
1. GREAT LOCATION! Baguio is a small city and it’s very easy to hop from one place to the next. We think Azalea has one of the best locations in Baguio because it’s next-door neighbors to Teacher’s Camp (morning jog at the athletic oval, anyone?) and Camp John Hay, which is popular not only as a dining and picnic spot but also as a biking trail.
That said, Azalea is also five minutes away from Session Road and the rest of the Central Business District, including the Baguio Cathedral, the Baguio Public Market, and Burnham Park. Wright Park & Mines View Park are five to seven minutes by cab too.
For great food locations, apart from Azalea’s Tradisyon Coffee Shop, of course, Zio’s Pizzeria is just down the street, PNKY Travel Cafe a five-minute walk away, and the affordable Ketchup Food Community and Volante a three-minute ride away (right cross Wright Park).
Never too near the hubbub of the city, but never too far from its conveniences and tourist spots either! Staycation location spot on!
2. TASTEFULLY DECORATED INTERIORS. Azalea’s interiors could very well be its crowning glory: the overall look is clean and minimalist but its striking decor gives its corners a sophisticated flourish!
Its lobby is a classic example: it looks just like any other hotel’s, but one look up and you can’t help but be impressed at the giant wooden azaleas, the inspiration behind the hotel, that adorn its walls! Who needs a humungous chandelier when you have this?!
A closer look at the hotel tells you it’s one of those properties that really pay attention to detail, and this is true not just in its common areas but also in its guest rooms.
3. COMFORTABLE SUITES PERFECT FOR FAMILIES & BIG GROUPS. The three-bedroom suite where we stayed had much more to offer than the average hotel that charges just as much (if not more):
Fully equipped kitchen. We don’t really cook, but if we did, we’d have loved the kitchen to bits (and I’m sure all the moms and dads out there who love to cook would adore it just as much!). Our suite’s kitchen had an induction burner, microwave oven, rice cooker, fridge, as well as complete dining cutlery for the whole gang! We don’t know about you, but knowing there’s food in the fridge is enough to make us NOT want to go out!
Comfy beds! The rooms are such a delight to sleep in! Not only are they so comfortable; there’s also free WiFi and cable TV in each of the rooms, plus another one in the living area, that it’s so difficult to get up for breakfast downstairs (assuming of course that you don’t already have one cooked by your doting dad or mom right in your suite).
4. COURTEOUS STAFF. We’ve been to only a few resorts and hotels whose staff greet you sincerely, with a smile to boot. We commend the staff at Azalea for making us feel genuinely welcome!
5. THOUGHTFUL EXTRAS. There are a few more things that made our stay at Azalea comfortable:
The free WiFi in the entire hotel, including our rooms, was such a big bonus for people like us who need to be connected to the Internet regularly.
Azalea’s lean but mean buffet spread at the Tradisyon Coffee Shop has continental, American, and Pinoy breakfast favorites, including local fare such as Baguio longganisa and fresh veggie salads. You’ll never go hungry in this place! Not in Azalea, not anywhere in Baguio!
So if you’re all sweaty and stressed from everything in Manila, gather up the whole gang, stock up on all your comfort food (tip: drive up to Tea House along Session Road and get all the Chona’s Delight you can eat!), fire up the TV, and psych yourself for the suite life. And oh, don’t forget to leave the windows open to let the cool Baguio breeze in!
AZALEA RESIDENCES BAGUIO
Leonard Wood Loop, Baguio City
Manila Reservations: +632 579 4890 / +63 2 579 4894
Baguio Reservations: +63 74 424 8710 / +63 74 424 8711 / +63 74 424 8716 / 0917 861 164
5 Reasons to Choose Azalea Residences for Your Baguio Staycation